Monday, June 30, 2008

Campin' in the Country

We just got back from a little campout with Brian's family. Well, I don't know if you want to officially call it a "campout" since we just pitched our tents in his brothers yard and we didn't have a campfire, but oh well, it was fun anyhow! We thought we were going to at least have a campfire, so we brought our marshmallow roasting sticks and our Starbursts. Have any of you tried roasting Starbursts? They are heavenly! Well, we didn't get to roast them...no fire...so we ate them the old-fashioned way...unwrap and pop them in the mouth! Not as fun and not as tasty, but oh well. I think I said "oh well" too many times, so I'll just show some pictures now: Here's Grandma Nut in the tent playing cards with cousin Mallory, Kelsie, cousin Shaeley, Kaycee,and cousin Abby:

This picture is taken from inside the truck looking out at Briana, Kaycee and some cousins riding in the back (I'm usually a paranoid mom, so it took a lot for me to allow the older girls to ride in the back of the truck!):

They live in this tiny town of Virginia, Idaho so apparently gathering eggs from the chickens is normal! Here's Kaycee feeding the little dudes:

Kelsie, Briana, and cousin Abby gathering eggs:

My sister-in-law Bekki and me in the hen house:

and finally, here's a group of us posing with our eggs in the chicken coop, hen house, whatever it is called!:

Don't you just LOVE Idaho?!

16 comments:

val said...

Well hey, camping is camping, even if it is in a backyard without a fire, huh? We pitched a tent in our yard a few weeks ago, and the packing and clean-up weren't too bad! But, I must try this Starburt roasting...does is puff up, melt or what? Thanks for the idea! Also, Kaycee's hair is darling! Karissa is getting ready to cut hers for Locks of Love, and what a cute style, we may have to copy! Also, are the eggs warm and brown? I've never collected eggs before...

Emily said...

I do love Idaho--I spent two semesters up there and thought it was great. A little cold, but great none the less.

Tiff Alaine said...

Cool! I want to gather eggs! Sounds like fun. =D

I guess you know that I just went camping too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

erika said...

That is an easy way to go camping too!Need to try it!My kids are begging to go camping.But not right,Rory is gone again for month in texas.
I can't believe how grown-up Briana is.Wow,Time flyes!
Well I never been to Idaho? So maybe so day I will go and visit?

Traci said...

Ok, so your telling me you guys scored some free fresh eggs you got to pick yourselves??? That is awesome and fun times for sure!

Ruuddudes said...

We totally love roasted starbursts! Have you ever tried roasted airheads? They are alot like starbursts...

Brooklyn said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! :)I haven't ever tried roasting starbursts, so I will have to try that!

Kitty said...

That sounds like fun!

Deb-t said...

Well that's something I actually don't miss.....gathering eggs! I am happy to be rid of the chickens, I hate to say. But it looks like the girls had a fun time...something they don't do everyday!
Bok Bok!

Christian and Karen Robinson said...

Rage at Deb-T I can totally hear her clucking like a chicken. Roasted starburts sound awesome. I totally need to try it!

Rina said...

I've never heard of the starburst roasting-I'll try to remember that one.
I saw the sign for Burley on the way to Island Park but I fell asleep-so I'm not sure if we went through it or not.

Rina said...

My brother Gary drives for UPS--when I was over the other day he was leaving for work and said he was on his way to Burley--I told him to tell you hi!!

Ruuddudes said...

Where are you?!?! I need my Karmen fix? Is it cause of the Twin Falls temple? Well, grab your camera & fill us in!

Camille said...

Dang we are going camping next week... I will totally have to try roasting Starbursts! That sounds yummy! Thanks for the heads up! Oh and love the backyard camping!

Sondra said...

So cool! I DO love Idaho! I remember gathering the eggs in our little farm in Mapelton Utah. Grandma and Grandpa Campbell lived next door to us in a mobile home. Man, that was a long time ago. I remember Dad or Grandpa would milk the cow and then my mom would like to stir it up with all the thick cream on top and drink it.

I've never heard of roasting Starburst but I can tell you right now that my kids have just found their new favorite thing to roast. We have a firepit in the backyard so we'll be trying it soon.

What a fun looking group and trip you've posted. I loved reading about your time. Such neat pix. I know I don't see you much so I'm so glad I'm getting to know your beautiful family through your blog. Love you Kiddo!

Katrina said...

Roasted Starbursts? Really? I guess I will have to try it. When my family goes camping we roast marshmallows. Sometimes my husband and son roast marshmallows and then put mustard on them and dare each other to eat them. They call them mustard-mellers. I have never been brave enough to try them. My favorite thing for roasting is a marshmallow, and then I put one square of Hershey's chocolate into the marshmallow where the stick was. The chocolate melts inside the marshmallow. Oh it is heavenly!