Friday, November 21, 2008

Santa...fact or fiction?

At night when I tuck the girls into bed, I always say, "do you need to talk to Mommy about anything?" Well, the other night, Kaycee said, "yes" and so I snuggled in bed next to her and we began THE TALK. No, not the "how are babies made" talk, but the "is Santa real" talk.

So she asked if Santa is real, and since she is 9 years old, (and an honors student, I might add!) I decided it was time for the truth...I responded with, "well, what do YOU think?" and she laughed and said she thought Santa was me and Dad because "how could someone fly around the world, in one night, being pulled by animals that aren't even real." (Aren't reindeer real? I saw some at The Quilted Bear a few years ago!) Well, we had a great chat about how it is fun to believe in Santa and that the IDEA of Santa is real...Then came the next questions...

"The Easter Bunny?"; "The Tooth Fairy"; "Mother Goose?" (That's a Campbell Family New Years' visitor...apparently NOT REAL either!) So we had a great chat about all of them as well. You could tell that she was actually kind of proud that she was in on the whole Santa thing now-you know, she has a younger sister that "still believes" and Kaycee likes the idea of knowing something that her sister doesn't know.

Well, just as I was feeling like a great Mom, and as I was kissing her cheek one more time prior to leaving her room, she blurts out, "Oh! So Heavenly Father and Jesus aren't real either!" Crap! I've got a lot more teaching to do as a mother...

21 comments:

Traci said...

my 7 year old had is santa real talk with his father too! i will always believe! i loved your story and you are a great mom!

Pearl Girl said...

Kids keep you on your toes all the time!! Are you gonna come to our new years party.

Angela said...

I love the way you talked about how the spirit of Santa is real. My parents did the same thing. Glad you are blogging again. :)
And tell your girls it's not scary at all holding a bird or a chimp. It's actually pretty fun, smelly, but fun.

Brenda Campbell Hansen said...

That cracks me up! I think it was our cousin, Suzanne, who had the same talk with her child, and they had the same question at the end, too! Good to hear from you, little sis! I better get on the ball and post something new, soon...

Suzanne said...

My oldest is going on 13 and I've still never been able to burst the "Santa" bubble. The big joke is that we had the "Sex Talk" before we had the "Santa Talk!"
The question has come up and I say "I Believe!" When they question that, I remind them that there are Orphans all over who have NO Parents to be their "Santa" YET they still get a Christmas & gifts, so how does that happen? I tell my kids if they don't believe in Santa, they HAVE to believe in SOMETHING, because the "Magic" of Christmas is REAL! (It gets them thinkin'!)

That's a good idea to say, "Is there anything you want to talk to Mommy about?" at bedtime (I'm just afraid that I'd NEVER get out of there if I started asking it!)

I remember your Mother Goose tradition as a young girl and I thought it was soo cool - I tried to get in going in my family, but it never did!

Rina said...

That's when I had the talk with my Brittan. When she started comparing Jesus & Santa. I felt like I'd been lying to my child for years.

CUTE Blog!

Jared and Steph Gunn said...

Carmon, Yea! That is soooo GReat! Good Job on the mommy time. I'm checking on you from time to time!

k8shoe said...

I love the asking them if they have anything to talk about. Good idea! Funny ending of the talk....that would so happen at my house (ya know I need to teach my kids more when my 3-year-old thinks that the statue of a lady at the beginning of the Columbia Pictures movies is Jesus).

Summer said...

love it! that is too cute. I'm so glad we're still in the magic phase ;)

val said...

Too funny, Sis! But now, I have to block Karissa from your blog... yes, she is wondering about the Santa thing, and I think WANTS to believe it is real, but I'm nervous about telling her. Ok, so I'll just let her read your blog and then she'll know for sure. Except, then she'll ask me how babies are made too... She needs to stick to reading cousins'blogs only!! I'm not ready for this!!

Emily said...

I thought this post was hilarious. I have since even told this story to others.

erika said...

Welcome back to blogging!!
Don't you just love those questions.
sometimes I wish they could stay little forever.
Good job on the talks!!

Ruuddudes said...

Great. I just banned Brielle from the room because she started reading over my shoulder. Thanks! She is still a believer! (hee hee not really. I think she didn't see before I clicked off your blog. Now she just thinks you wrote something BAD that she isn't allowed to read. ha!)

Jon and Katie said...

We pondered on telling Hannah this year but her mothers got her so brain washed we didn't think she could handle another lie. Plus her mother went off the handle, so we figured another year and she will figure it out herself anyway.

Deb-t said...

Jaden stopped believing in Santa when he was 7!!!!! What the crap? I guess it's ok though because I don't have to pretend anything anymore....For sad.

Allie said...

Oh Kaycee Lane! That is really funny! I think I stopped beleiving when I was really young, I think either 5, or 6, maybe 7! I am still cracking up!

Katrina said...

Kaycee is pretty cute. I remember when my son Lane thought that Jesus and the Easter Bunny came to our house on Easter Sunday.

Kitty said...

Heavenly father and Jesus are to real!

Kitty said...

I already know!

Kitty said...

MOM!

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.